Periodontal disease is a serious infection underneath the gum line.
Arestin® (minocycline hydrochloride) is an antibiotic that kills the bacteria that causes the periodontal infection.
- Application is directly on the infected areas or “pockets”- the space between your tooth root and gums.
- Placement occurs right after scaling and root planing- the dental procedure that disrupts stubborn plaque and bacteria below your gumline where brushing and flossing can’t reach.
Arestin® fights infection and inflammation for 30 days, and provides significantly better results than scaling and root planing alone for up to 90 days. 1, 2
Arestin® fights infection and inflammation for 30 days, 2 and provides significantly better results than scaling and root planning alone for up to 90 days. 3
1. Oringer RJ, Al-Shammari KF, Aldredge WA, et al. Effect of locally administered minocycline microspheres on markers of bone resorption. J Periodontol 2002;73:835-842.
2. Goodson JM, Gunsollwy JC, Grossi SG, et al. Minocycline HCl microspheres reduce red-complex bacteria in periodontal disease therapy. J Periodontol 2007;78(8):1568-1579.
3. Williams RC, Paquette DW, Offenbacher S, et al. Treatment of periodontitis by local administration of minocycline microspheres: a controlled trial. J Periodontol 2001;72:1535-1544.