What is Periodontal Treatment?
Periodontal treatment is a term used to describe techniques used to fight periodontal disease. Periodontal disease is the most common oral health problem facing Americans today. There are many types of periodontal conditions, and there are a number of treatment options for patients.
What Happens During Periodontal Treatment?
Generally, periodontal treatment involves a deep cleaning of the teeth, both above and below the gum line, which is known as scaling. Additionally, it can involve medications and surgeries, depending on the specific periodontal condition a patient is experiencing and how severe that condition is. Some examples of periodontal treatment include:
- Root Planing and Scaling – Deep cleaning method used to remove tartar and plaque above and below the gum line, and smoothing rough spots on teeth to inhibit bacterial growth.
- Medication – Various types of antibiotics are used to fight and prevent infection. These can include creams, gels, micro-spheres, and chips.
- Flap Surgery – Removal of tarter from deep gum pockets. This procedure involves lifting the gums to clean and then suturing them back in place.
- Bone Grafts – Procedure to encourage bone growth and counteract the effects of prolonged or severe gum disease which can attack the jawbone.
What are the Benefits of Periodontal Treatment?
Periodontal treatment has a number of benefits for patients. These include:
- Improved Breath – bad breath, or halitosis, is often caused by bacterial infections in the gums. Periodontal treatment can remove these infections and improve breath.
- Better Smile – Periodontal treatment removes plaque and tarter that can make patients self-conscious of their smile.
- Prevent and Treat Gum Disease – Gum disease can be difficult to treat if it spreads. Gum disease can result in a number of harmful outcome, including bone loss, blood infection, bad breath, tooth loss, and other dangerous and harmful conditions.
- Prevent Worse Damage – Periodontal treatment is a good step to take in order to stem the damage caused by periodontal conditions. Left untreated, these conditions can result in tooth loss and decay, bone loss, and harmful infections. Periodontal treatment can prevent the need for more intensive treatments.
Should I Get Periodontal Treatment?
If you suffer from sore, red, reduced, or bleeding gums, you may be a candidate for periodontal treatment. Periodontal treatment can help patients feel better and look better, and can also save money by stemming the need for more intensive procedures later.
If you are considering periodontal treatment, you should talk to a qualified oral health professional. Dr. Kathleen A. Stambaugh is a periodontal and implantology specialist in Burlington, WA. Her practice specializes in the treatment of gum disease including cosmetic procedures to aesthetically enhance your smile, and replace missing teeth using dental implant technology. She also diagnoses and treats oral pathology.
With over 55 years of research and practice, Pericowest Periodontics provides cutting edge implant and periodontal disease services and treatments. Kathleen A. Stambaugh’s office is nestled in the city of Burlington, surrounded by farm fields and foothills, providing a calm and serene place of practice that is reflected in the patients’ treatment experience.